Friday 20 June 2014

On Finding a New Hairdresser

Morning Ragers and Ragettes!!  It’s a bleak day here in St Helens but it’s supposed to be warm.  So as it is Friday I am rocking my blue strapless maxi dress, white cardigan, a blue scarf in my hair, my Miss Sixty platform wedges, the necklace Suzanne gave me and of course my red lippy!

Well, after last post I was feeling quite down.  Simon though made up for it.  And I got my revenge!!!

We had our broadband finally installed!  And Simon left me at home to let the broadband guy in.  While I was waiting I got myself ready to go to work so I rocked my vintage jumpsuit, my brown wooden platform sandals and gold accessories.  I was looking good!

The broadband guy showed up and dammmmnnnn!!  He was fine!!!  And I mean really fine!  So I decided to have some fun with this.  I snapchatted Simon and said that the broadband guy was here, updated my Facebook status to say he was hot and sat back and waited for a bite.

Snapchat back from Simon, he’s hot?  I put my most suggestive pout on...oh yes he is....

He snap chatted back, I feel so inadequate.

Revenge taken successfully!!  We are fine now. 

It’s great to have broadband though.  I can start using my little writing desk and start reporting from our new place!!!

But today, there is a bigger task at hand...the search for a new hair dresser.

Now, us women take the care of their hair very seriously.  If there is a mess up on another beauty treatment, like nails or toes, most of the time they can be covered up.  But your hair?

My Mama always says that a woman’s hair is her crowning glory and that any mishap with a woman’s hair is a total disaster. 

Now I have experimented with my hair (especially my hair colour) ever since I was 16.  I started out putting blonde highlights in my mousy brown hair.  Then it went to dying it red.  And I mean bright red. 

I then tried a blonde pixie cut.  The cut was gorgeous (and as soon as I lose my excess weight, I am considering going back to that cut.) but the colour made me look sick.  And I mean sick!!!  The amount of people that came up to me and said, Betty, are you ok today?  You are not looking well.  It also fried my hair horribly!!!

I then left home and tried different styles.  I would try to grow it out but my hair is so fine it gets stringy looking.  I would love long tresses!!!

When I moved to Ireland and was in a very good job, I got hair extensions...worst mistake ever!!! 

The girl who did it barely spoke English and she couldn’t tell me how to take care of them.  So it ended up a massive disaster.  My hair hasn’t recovered since.

So I thought, ok, I have short hair, let’s rock it!  So I rocked a cut that was short on one side and longer on the other.  I had funky colours put through and I liked it!!!  But then I got bored.

So I got my trademark bob and went between brown with highlights, bright red, and black.

The thing with me, Ragers and Ragettes, whenever I go through a change, like a job change, I always do something different with my hair.

And I have been toying with the idea of going bright red again.  Because my job isn’t too professional (I can rock up in jeans whenever I want to) I can get my tattoos, rock the funky hair and be creative.  It scares me a bit.  For the last 12 years I have been doing the business dress thing and to wear what I want to, express myself the way I want to, not have to cover my ink up....it’s liberating!!!

But I digress!!
So, Today I am starting to journey to finding the best hairdresser for me! 
Simon goes to a hairdresser near to work that apparently has the best colour correctionist in the North West of England.  That is a big title to hold!  Simon booked in for a haircut today and I decided to tag along to see the situation and suss out if this hair dresser is as good as he says.

We got to the hairdressers (just down the road from work) and we sat and waited for the man himself!

He finally came out wearing a bright red t shirt, jeans and sandals.  Simon explained who I was and why I was there and while he was cutting his hair I was chatting to him about what I wanted to do with my hair.

He explained to me in his European accent (I honestly had no clue where he was from!!  It was so stereotypical European sounding!)  what he does and how he does it.  He showed me photos of the colour corrections that he has done in the past.  They look amazing!!!

So, after he finished with Simon’s hair, he told me to take my scarf off and started to run his fingers through my hair.  He was looking intently at my locks.  He said, oh yes, it’s really good condition!  I can do a lot with this!

So he took his scissors out and said, do not worry I am going to cut a small piece.  He took a little lock of my hair and said I am going to do a strand test. 

I got up and he took my number and said that he was going to call me back and tell me what he is going to do to my hair.  He looked at me and said yes, I want to give you a trendy cut.

I don’t know whether I am scared or excited!!  But in the last few months I have made several leaps of faith.  And as Madonna said, freedom comes when you learn to let go.  So I am going to let this man do my hair.  But If I come out with a Mohawk, a mullet or a Britney circa 2007 I will be one pissed off Betty Rage!!!!

So until next time Ragers and Ragettes, stay fabulous!!!!

Lots of Love


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Take a chance and go for it, Betty!! You jave the confidence to rock it...even if its not something you are used to.
    He obviously has confidence in himself...put yourself in his capable hands!!!
    Elena xxx

    ReplyDelete