Saturday 15 March 2014

What a difference a year makes.....

Happy Saturday everyone!!!!!  It's cool, grey and slightly rainy. So here I am in my little flat, washing in the washing machine, hair dye in my head, touching up my roots (thank heavens I'm single because no man would wasn't to touch me now!!!!!)  sipping a cup of hazelnut coffee. I should be at kick boxing class but after the week I've had, I just need a me morning. Life is so precious and we need time to take care of ourselves...in a blink of an eye it can all change as I found out a year ago.....

Friday 15 March 2013...a day that I will always remember....

My parents had just gone home the day after visiting for a week. I was working for a company not too far away from where I live. It was a family run company headed by a man who was....well....eccentric. Imagine giving a 4 year old boy 4 cans of full fat coke, 2 cans of red bull, a speed tablet, £2 million and a Maserati. He liked to surround himself with young, beautiful women who didn't question things. Then along came me. Short, has a few pounds on, questions everything and doesn't take shit from anyone.  I was brought in to change processes and because I am mouthy and assertive I didn't fit the mould and critically, I didn't fit in either. The only people I got along with was a girl named Rita* (more about Rita tomorrow) and the lads that worked in the warehouse.

So that afternoon, I was called into the boardroom. There sat my manager and his little toady (a rich young sted-head) and I knew something was going down. I sat down and they told me that my contract was immediately terminated. I didn't hear the rest of what they said. I was stunned. Shocked. The first thing I thought was how am I going to pay my rent? My bills? Am I going to be homeless? How am I going to survive? Then I heard my manager mention a pay out. Basically I had to sign papers to guarantee that I wasn't going to go to a lawyer and take it further and they gave me a lump sum of money to shut me up. It was a massive lump sum. I was shaking. I massaged to ask was it my work? My manager stuttered and couldn't answer the question. 

I mumbled something about I know it's not you and best of luck. I got up and shook my manager's and his toady's hands and walked out. The office manager (who I thought was a friend) handed me my bag. I got into my car and drove home. When I got in the tears came. I fell to pieces. I didn't get to say goodbye to Rita and the warehouse lads. But mostly, I felt like I let my family down. I called my parents in tears. I told them what happened. I told them I was sorry as I let them down. They told me that I would be ok. That I would land on my feet. I called my best friend and told him. I just cured, and cried the rest of the night. 

The next day I woke up to messages and texts from the lads in the warehouse and Rita. They were all upset too. I felt a bit better. Then I loaded up my emails and I found one from my dad....Here's the actual email he sent:

Too bad about your news today but those things happen. So now it is time to make a few lists of things to do:
#1 - Attitude - must be positive, cheerful, confident and "can do"
#2 - A list of all the business people you have had recent contact with to stay in touch with and 'mine' them for any job openings that they may be aware of. Don't bore them with the sordid details of  what happened just be positive as in 'you are ready to get started'.
#3 - A list of reliable friends that you have met along the way that you can work with regard to anything that they may be aware of, same as #2 above, don't bore them with the details etc.
#4 - Review finances and set up a plan to cover an rapid recovery and a plan B for a prolonged lack of income.
#5 - Get CV updated and posted
#6 - Get your name out to any temp agency that will talk to you and be open to trying something else on a short term basis if necessary.

I have a feeling that something will pop up out of the left field very soon and that all will be well. However, no matter how p.o.'ed you may be over this do not bad mouth anyone at Your old job (or any other job you may have worked at for that matter) as potential employers tend to think of that as being a bit immature. Try to think in terms of what you can offer as opposed to the minute detail of what you did.
As far as the next few days are concerned just relax and take it easy, don't think about how mad and upset you are (that does not move you forward) but plan what your campaign is going to be. There is nothing that you can do until monday morning so any worrying is just a waste of energy - there is nothing worth looking at in the rear view mirror....
Anyway, so much for these hurried thoughts, I hope you can get going on another new chapter, the book is getting bigger.....
Love Dad.   

I took my dad's advice. I picked myself up and I ended up taking a good, hard look at myself. Maybe I was the problem. Maybe I was so uptight. I let things get to me. I made a vow to never do that again. So I started temping. I made some great friends and I signed up and started dating again. I started enjoying life!!! 

I got a more stable job in May (exactly 58 days after I got done over) it was only temporary but I enjoyed it! The work was basic so my figures were the best. The management loved me! And for the first time, I actually made friends!!! I relaxed and let people in. 

The job was great but the money was shit and I knew that my safety cushion was going to be depleted so I kept looking for more permanent work. I went on quite a few interviews until one day out of left fired I got an interview for a massive company.

When I went to the interview I thought I crashed and burned...I mean I was put through my paces. When I finished my interview my head hurt. I went back to my temp job frazzled.

I received a call from the agency saying that I impressed them at this interview and they wanted to see me again. So on 16 August, I got suited and booted and went to the second interview, this was relaxed and I enjoyed it. When I finished I shook both interviewers hands and got into my car and drove away.

When I got back I had a missed call. Well, they offered me the job and here I am at my current job. I started it in September and I actually feel really happy in my work life.

Yes, I have bad, busy, crazy days but you know what? This past year has taught me to relax, have fun. Don't be afraid to make friends and just enjoy every day. I am definitely a better person for it. 

So my fellow readers. Please appreciate the people, the things and the life you have. It can literally change and be taken away so quickly and so easily.

So, I hope that you can take something from this post. I hope that my words and my dad's words can give you guidance and help you through your life.

"Never look back and never give up"

Love always,

Betty xxx

1 comment:

  1. Gotta Love your daddy......
    Time heals most wounds.....
    xx

    ReplyDelete