Tuesday 15 July 2014

On the Power of Red Lipstick

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!  It’s another fabulous day here in St Helens.  The sun is shining and there are a few clouds in the sky.  But I am not going to let it upset me.  Today I am rocking my shift dress with black pencil skirt and fuchsia, orange, black and white stripes and my black patent peep toed shoes.  Obviously I have my red lippy on....

A lot of people ask me why I wear red lippy.  It’s very simple.  I wear it because it is my signature  In a culture of lip glosses and sticky lips, I pull away from the pack and use my beloved long stay, kiss proof lippy every day.  It has a gorgeous hue, it lasts ages and I feel like I am dressed and ready to go in it!!!

But more importantly, it is my armour.  My protection from the outside world and from all the nasty bad people and things.  To me, when I open the twist top tube of my red lippy, and I open my compact to put slick it on, that moment in life is perfect.  I don’t want or need anything.  The way that it feels on my lips...I put my lips together to rub it in.  I take my pinky and correct the overspill on my cupid’s bow and then slick another coat on.  At that moment, I am my most powerful.  When my lips have their signature red hue on, I am safe, untouchable and I can take on anyone or anything with ease.  It’s like Samson’s head of hair.  My without my lippy = a vulnerable mess.  I do feel weak without it.

It’s so funny how an item of clothing, or our hair, or a pair of shoes can make a major difference in how we perceive life and different situations.  But it’s a nice thing as well.

We have basically replaced our comfort blankets from when we were children with something more adult but the concept is very much the same. 

So why did I choose red lipstick?  Well, to be fair and to be honest, when I changed my hair colour to black for the first time, I wanted to look striking to attract a certain guy.  It didn’t work but I ended up with a fabulous new look.  So for 10 years I have been using my red armour pretty much most days. 

One of my old work colleagues used to refer to it as me going into battle when I would slick my lippy on.  And they were right.  With it, I am the strongest warrior.  The toughest, most resilient woman on the planet. And in a day in age of orange tans, blonde hair extensions, and over glossed lips,  I like to think that I am leading the fight for us pale skinned, dark haired beauties.
So Ragers and Ragettes, to your adult comfort blankets, wear them with pride!  They are there for a reason so go with it! 

Just always be true to yourself and always be fabulous!

Lots of Love


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment