Wednesday 7 May 2014

On Parents

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!  Sorry for the lack of posting but my parents came over from the old country so I had to play tour guide, hotel, cook, tea lady and perfect daughter.  I am very tired!!

That is why I thought today I would like to discuss those 2 people that are so important in our lives....parents.

My parents in October have been married for 43 years.  That's a long time!!!  Thinking back I cannot recall a time when my parents argued.  I'm not saying that their relationship is perfect, but they always put a united front on in front of my sister and me.

Growing up, I never got along with my father.  He was the disciplinarian in the family.  If I was bad I would get spanked.  He never wailed on my ass or anything but if I was naughty I was put in my place.  That, I have to admit, impaired my relationship with my father.  

My mama was very obsessed about cleanliness, I remember.  The house was always immaculate. Mama would scrub, clean and dust constantly.  Then she would cook the best meals ever.  She was a perfectionist. 

I got my sense of style from my Mama.  My mama always dressed to impress.  She never left the house without her hair perfectly done, make up done and dressed to the nines.  Always wore a dress or skirt and heels.  She was classy, beautiful, and taught me a lot about fashion.  

Growing up, my parents were strict with me.  Very strict.  I couldn't eat on the settee, bedtime was strictly 9:30 and I had to perform well in school.  I hated them at the time.

Then I left home.  I wanted to pave my own way through life far away and mostly I wanted to get away from my parents and their strict ways.

I enjoyed at first going out and getting drunk, sleeping with various men, eating sandwiches for dinner, spending my money the way I wanted to.  It was great!!!  

Then the cold hard reality hit.  I started missing the structure that my parents put into my life.  I started to miss my mama's cooking, I missed my mama kissing my forehead before I went to bed.  I felt pathetic.  

I started properly speaking to my parents for the first time in a long time.  I started to not see them as the draconian overlords that would bark orders at me and tell me to eat my vegetables.

As each year went by, I started to see my parents as people.  We started to bond and laugh and when I would visit them and they would me, we would have fun.  My dad and I would have a beer and talk about life.  

I would see them once a year and each time I would see them, I saw my dad's dark hair turn silver and my mama have more ailments.  God, my parents are getting older!!!  I started to think back and realise that the reason why parents were always on my back was because they were the only ones that had my back.  

This time around, my Mama started to irritate me.  She would ask silly questions, lecture me about my dress sense, tattoos, my weight and my hair. Mama lives in a world where the woodland creatures would come out and sing with you as you did your laundry.  She still thinks I'm a virgin!  (Please Ragers and Ragettes, stop laughing!!)  But even though I had to hold my temper and bite my tongue, I would look at her pretty, smiling face and sigh.  She's my mama.  I would wrap my arms around her and cuddle her.  

Simon's parents are different.  His mum is the polar opposite of my Mama.  Mama is very classy, vintage, porcelain skin and cat eyes. She's tea-total and clean living and deeply religious.  Simon's mum is spiritual, liberal and is partial to a glass or bottle of wine.  They are both lovely women.  And I am blessed that I have 2 fabulous women in my life.

Ragers and Ragettes, you only get one set of parents.  Yes, they drive you crackers and sometimes you want to slap them.  But they are your parents.  They just want the best for you.

Until next time, Ragers and Ragettes, please stay fabulous!!!

Lots of Love

Betty Rage xxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment