Thursday 15 May 2014

On Moving Out and Moving On

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!!   

Well, all of my items are packed up and today I said goodbye to Rage Towers, to Manchester and to my old life of living paycheque to paycheque.  And also said goodbye to the single life.

I have had mixed feelings about all this to be honest. 

This can best be expressed in this way.

Back in 2001 when I was visiting my uncle in the south of England I went to Boots (a fabulous  shop that does all girlie things that all girls need:  make up, shampoo, conditioner, hair dryers....it’s amazing!!!) and I needed to purchase a new hair brush.  I have very fine, sort, funky hair so I can’t use big industrial sized brushes or combs.  I found a comb that was amazing.  It was grey, has 3 rows of teeth and it handles tangles perfectly.  It also backcombed my hair like a dream!!! As I have such fine hair it was perfect!!  I used it without fail for the past 13 years.  In that time, it lost 5 teeth and it looks like it has been well loved.  I tried to look for replacements in the shops but they don’t sell them anymore!!!!!!  So I took extra good care of it by washing that comb once a week to keep it clean.

I had that comb for years and years!  Until last week.  Said comb has gone missing.  I was distraught!  One of my beauty bag staples was now missing!!!!  But it made me think.

In order to truly move out, move on and get on with it, you need to know when it’s time to turn the page.  

Yes, things happen to upset the balance of life.  But you need to move on from it.  I am shocked by a lot of people that get trapped in the past and won’t move on.  Pain is a part of life.  We have all experienced it in some way or another.  But unless you deal with it and you acknowledge it you will forever be trapped in the revolving door of the past and you will never be free of it.

I have moved quite a bit.  And in the last few years I have kept quite a few things the same because it was comfortable.  But I found that I was in the same cycle:  Over eating, spending too much money, drinking too much, hating my job, hating my life.  Attracting people that were in more of a mess than I was.  Getting sucked into that shit and being brought down. 

That’s one of the reasons why I decided to move.  There are a few good people that I will miss.  Suzanne (who I am missing soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much) and my neighbour.  But besides that, I don’t feel like the city can offer me what I want now.  And with me moving to St Helens I am in between Manchester and Liverpool on train so it’s not too traumatic!!
So, all my stuff has been packed up.  Nothing is left in Rage Towers.  It’s kind of sad but exciting too.  And I can’t believe that all my shoes fit into one transit van!  Result!

Packing wasn’t too stressful.  Simon helped out and between us we got it all done together, a bit each night.  It worked out well.  I still have to go back and clean, take my decorations off the wall but I have the flat until the end of June.  One weekend I want to go up by myself and say my proper goodbye to Manchester.  It will be poignant for sure.  I will probably cry, reminisce and then move on.

The important thing, as I have mentioned before, is to get closure on big things like this. 

But, I will focus on the adventure tonight.  Unpacking and putting together our new furniture will surely be interesting!

We get the keys at 2pm today and then Simon, one of the lads from the warehouse and Simon’s dad are going to unload the van and put the boxes in the flat.  All I will need to do is open the boxes and put things away!  Secretly, I am relieved to not have to move the boxes and furniture. Just let the men do that and let us prinnies relax.  ;)

And in regards to the comb?  I found a distributor on eBay that does them but I am going to go to the new hair salon I found and get a professional opinion on what brush/comb to use.  I am determined to try something new!!!  (at least I know where I can get my comb if all else fails!!)

So, until next time, Ragers and Ragettes, stay fabulous!!!

Lots of Love


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxx

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Moving in to a new house and to a new life creates a lot of anxieties. On one hand, it implies a kind of reflex reflection that shows unease. On another, it shows that you are, in fact, eager to accept all of those, since you are instinctually prepping yourself for the situation. In any case, that was a good sign going in. Things should be smooth-sailing from this point onward. All the best!

    Kenneth Bowman @ Reliable Moving

    ReplyDelete