Tuesday 4 November 2014

On the “L” Word

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!!!  It’s a cool day here in St Helens and I am writing this in my warmest sweater dress and my brown heeled knee high boots that I love so much!!!  These boots are so comfy!  They have a leopard print liner in them and they make your feet and legs feel so warm.  And the plus side?  I can drive in them!!!!  Result!!!!  I rarely can drive in heels!

Well, today I need to discuss with you, Ragers and Ragettes the “L” word.  I am not talking Love, Lesbianism, or life.  No, something far more controversial..........Leggings.

Besides the Ugg Boot (which I despise), never has an article of clothing caused such a rift in the fashion world.   A lot of women do own a pair of leggings but this trend has never been for me.

Why?  Out of principle.  I saw this trend the first time in the 80's and this time round I see how girls were rocking them, usually wearing them as bottoms, paired with a crop top and the leggings being so thin  that you can see not only the person’s knickers and the pattern on the knickers but what they ate for dinner the night before.

Yuck! 

Also, being a lady with ample curves, I am scared that my legs will look like sausages and my large bum will look bigger than Nicki Minaj's.

But someone changed my mind.

On Saturday I went out with Simon’s Mum and I ended up having a lovely day!  We went shopping and I bought a few sweater dresses.  Wearing jeans is ok in winter but sometimes you just want to try something different. 

The problem though is that one would need something to cover the legs.  I love multi coloured tights and but I have a small problem.  I tend to snag them with my acrylics.  I have tried putting them on wearing gloves (I end up pinching my skin and snagging them anyway!) getting someone else to put them on (That just ends in Simon ripping them off and fucking me!!) and putting them on without my acrylic nails (That was the worst week of my life....I need my acrylic talons!!!).  So I was chatting to Simon’s mum about my plight over a glass of Chardonnay at my favourite wine bar in Manchester, The Hanging Ditch, and she said, Betty, have you considered leggings?  I almost spit out the pleasant glass of Chardonnay I was enjoying.

What? Leggings??????????????

I looked at her with shock and she smiled and said, come on, let’s get you some leggings.

I know most things about fashion and such but leggings are a forbidden and unchartered dark corner in the world of Betty Rage. 

Simon’s Mum and I headed to Primark and she started explaining to me about the best type of leggings to get.  They can’t have a lot of lycra in it because they will stretch and sag.  That makes sense.  She recommends that I go for cotton ones.  They are nicer and will not stretch out as much with wear and when you wash them they won't snag.  

I was shocked at how many types of leggings they do!!!  All different colours, shapes, sizes, materials.  They even do fleece lined ones!  They did sucking in ones which sound like a good idea.

So I picked out a tan pair, 2 black pairs and a black sucking in pair in my size and ran to the check out and bought them before I changed my mind.

Yesterday I decided to try them on so I picked out a black and white stripped sweater dress that I purchased at H&M on Saturday and I opted for the sucking in leggings, took a deep breath and put them on under my knee length sweater dress.

Ragers, Ragettes.  They were not bad at all!!!  I put my knee high black sexy stiletto boots on over them with ease,  Topped with my red lippy, I looked at myself and thought, foxy!  Simon saw me and said, sexy baby and he playfully slapped my ass.  Ok, so far so good.

I spent the day wearing them and my verdict? They are much stronger than tights.  They are comfy, and the sucking in ones did the job.  My tummy and hips looked smoother and better.  No one really noticed that they were leggings.  That was a good thing.  The only down side is that every once and awhile, like tights, you need to adjust them and pull them up.  Sucking in leggings under a monochrome sweater dress with sexy black knee high boots?  9 out of 10.  Fab!

Today I am wearing my tan cotton ones under my cream sweater dress.  These aren’t sucking in ones and they are not shiny and nice looking like the ones that I wore yesterday. They fit nicely under my boots and didn't bunch up. They are thicker than tights and quite comfy.  My dress is a little shorter today so I am a bit self conscious.  But I am also happy that I get to rock them with my new boots.  I strutted out of the gym this morning feeling different and slightly sexy but pulling the back of my sweater dress down.  Nice.

So my verdict on leggings? 

They are ok.  I am not going to start to wear them every day but they are a practical solution for the winter sweater dress and tights dilemma.   I just need to remember to wear them under long jumpers, midi dresses or smock dresses.  Plus if you put a sassy pair of knee high boots on , no one will know the difference!   Result!!!

So until next time Ragers and Ragettes, keep your head and standards high and your heels even higher!

Lots of love


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment