Friday 31 October 2014

What Do You Do with a Drunken Mother?

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!!  Happy Halloween!!!!!  I hope that you are all fab today! I am rocking a sheer leopard print blouse paired with skinny jeans and my knee high brown stilettos boots.  My hair has some fierce volume today so I have pulled it back into a black head band.  My false eyelashes are still on and intact so my makeup is minimal.

 I am recovering from the first round of birthday celebrations.  The next round is happening this weekend.

Which brings me to my dilemma.

Simon’s mum wants to go out with me to celebrate my birthday for a “Mum and Daughter” day in Manchester for shopping (yippee!), lunch (yippee!!) and cocktails (oh dear).

She wants to hit Primark (for those Ragers and Ragettes that are not familiar with the UK shopping experience Primark, also known as Primani, is a cheap clothing store that you can buy some really trendy clothes for a really good price!  I personally want to go as I want to buy some lovely jumper dresses and quirky coloured tights.)  which is cool, Boots (not a shoe shop but a shop that you can purchase cosmetics and perfume) which is fab and have a wander around the shops.  I am fine with that.

Now comes the sticky part.  I am trying to cut my drinking down because of health purposes and I have a gorgeous dress to squeeze into next weekend for my third birthday celebration and also for Christmas.  I am aware of what excessive drinking does to one’s looks and waistline.

Simon’s mum, as you know, is an alcoholic.  The one thing I know about alcoholics is that when you are not drinking they get antsy and almost insulted.  I don’t want to cause issues with my boyfriend’s mum.  But I don’t want to come back pissed a fart.

I have consumed a lot of alcohol in my life.  I sometimes wonder what it has done to my body.  I carry weight on my tummy and looking at Simon's mum, she should be a slim size 10-12.  With the size of her tummy, she's a 16.

Did you know that a large glass of red wine has the same amount of calories as a chocolate donut?  Scary!!!!!!!!!

Alcohol damages your skin.  It gives you redness and broken blood vessels on your nose.   And your nose turns purple.  Simon's mum's nose has broken blood vessels and it's looking bulbous and purple.

She has given me a look into my future.  I like a drink but do I want to end up like that?  So I have made the conscious decision to cut my alcohol consumption down.  Not just for my health but for my looks.

Piggy backing from my post from yesterday, my colleague from back home, Jennifer (names changed, people!!!) has made me think a lot about myself and how I view the world.  I have said it once before, what you consume is a direct reflection of how your body looks and how you feel.  If you feel bad about yourself, you are more than likely going to eat badly.  If you feel good about yourself, then you are going to eat well and take care of your body.  So when I see Simon's mum I see someone who is sad, who has had a hard childhood (she doesn't talk about it) and I see someone that needs a detox and some counselling.

So what do I do tomorrow?  I am thinking that there are 3 tactics:

Tactic One:  the Go Along with it Girl Tactic.  Drink and make her feel comfortable.  After all, she might be my future mother-in-law?  Go along with her and have a few drinks.  Try not to get shit faced (try is a hopeful word) but will most likely end up being sick down my top and telling the world that I love them.

Tactic Two:  The Everything in Moderation Girl Tactic:  Have a few drinks but balance it out with water. Share a bottle of wine but take a bottle of water with you and take big gulps when you can.  Be responsible and cut yourself off after a certain number.  This might work the best.  I see the scenario panning out as me lifting his mum onto the train and acting as the responsible adult.

Tactic Three:  The Tee-Total Anti Drinking Nazi Girl:  Insist on not having a drink and taking the moral high ground.  This will most likely cause an argument and I will end up in bad books as being a "party pooper" or being up my own backside.  I could also argue that I am taking anti-biotics but that might get his mum to think that I am pregnant  (which I am not!!!!!) and that might cause a great deal more grief than I need right now!!!

I am looking at tactic two.  I think that will work the best because I will have to be the responsible adult and I have learned to be that recently.  To be honest, I think my years of going out and getting caned are over and done with.

So tomorrow, after my hard session with my new fitness instructor (who told me this morning that she handed her resignation in - totally gutted) I will be getting my Betty Rage Red hair redone and then off to Manchester for what looks like an interesting day out.  Fingers crossed that it all goes to plan.

So until next time Ragers and Ragettes!  Keep your heads and your standards high, and your heels even higher!

Lots of Love

Tha Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. And how did that work out, Betty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how did that work out, Betty?

    ReplyDelete