Friday 21 November 2014

On Going to Amsterdam

Happy Friday Ragers and Ragettes!!!!  I am in a great mood because it is Friday!!!  Whoop whoop!!!  I am rocking today a fuchsia, black and grey striped jumper dress with black leggings (I am honestly loving these things!!) and some black ballet pumps....yes you read that right.  I have reasons for wearing these today.  I am also wearing my new favourite lipstick.  It’s a deeper wine coloured red.  It’s a gorgeous colour!  I am so tempted to go out and buy at least 4 more tubes of it.

Good news also.  Suzanne is in the hospital but she is recovering.  I have been messaging her trying to keep her amused.  Please get better Suzanne!!!!! I miss you!!!  

I am also excited because in 10 weeks I am going to Amsterdam!!!!  I am beyond excited for this!!!

It all came about a month ago.  We were in work and I was chatting to the lads in despair about going home for Christmas.  Now I don’t mind going home for Christmas.  I get to see my parents but one thing I have learned is that when you live away from home as long as I have and then you go back to see your parents it can be...well.....erm......trying. 

My Mama is the worst.  If I have a glass of wine (she is tee total) instantly, are you an alcoholic?  For ages it has been why aren’t you married?  When are you going to have a child?  Stop piercing and tattooing your body.  Have you gained weight?  And the list goes on!!!

I was chatting to the lads about this and I said that I need a vacation from my break in America.  They said where would you go?  And I said some place like Amsterdam.  They all looked at me and it clicked.

I went to my desk and did some research.  And before I knew it I found flights and an apartment accommodates 10 people.   I told the lads excitedly and on payday we all booked it!  

And I am now beyond excited. 

Amsterdam is a great city.   Besides the culture, history, scenery , great vintage shops, and atmosphere, they have “coffee shops” that serve beer, coffee and marijuana.

Now let’s get something straight.  I am not a major pot smoker.  I have maybe smoked the stuff about 6 times in my 30 plus years of living.  It’s something that I can take or leave.  I am more of a cigarettes and alcohol sort of girl.  But when I go to Amsterdam, I plan on relaxing and indulging in the giggle weed.  I don’t plan on getting wrecked though.  Someone will need to be the responsible adult!!! 

I went to Amsterdam in 2011 with a hen party (bachelorette party to people in America) .  It was August and it was the best weekend I ever had.  The bride to be was a bridezilla and threw temper tantrums when she didn’t get her way.

I remember the Friday that we arrived.  It was a lovely, warm August morning.  We took the short flight (an hour and 20 minutes) and arrived.  The train station was in the airport.  We got the train to the city center (there is a train to the city center every 20 minutes) and when we got to Dam Square, the sun was bright and it was lovely and warm.  We checked into our hotel (just off Dam Square) and headed out into the city center to explore. 

We went to a cafe and the Bride’s sister bought some pot.  We rolled a joint and shared it.  It was relaxing.  We had a laugh especially when the bride’s mum came in and in her Irish accent said “ are ya sure that this is the best pot that you can get?  I don’t wantcha smoking somethin’ that is substandard.” 

We all giggled even more!!!  It was a laugh!!!  We then went roaming the streets of Amsterdam and were giggling about everything. 

Then the munchies hit.

I needed food and I needed it at that moment!!!  I then saw a sign that said “Best Chips in Amsterdam”.  It was in a blue and yellow cone shaped paper.   I knew I needed to try these chips.

I ordered a big cone of chips with garlic mayonnaise and cheese.  I was in heaven!!!!  They were the best chips I ever ate.  Ever!!!!

As the afternoon drew on we went to the shop bought some alcohol and just chilled.  We then got ready to go out.  All 8 of us went out together but 4 of us split away from the group.  We ended up going on our own adventure.  We went to a few bars.  Then we decided to go find a night club.  One of the girls was a professional dancer.  So we danced until they threw us out at 4am.  We then went across Dam square singing and laughing.

Such great memories.  It was a great time.  I don’t know if I just wanted to recreate the moment.  I am not that fresh faced girl that I was 3 years ago.  I am a different woman.  So many things have changed since then.  But I have always wanted to go back.

So, January 30th – February 1st, 10 of us are going to Amsterdam which looks like it will be an epic weekend. 

It’s basically everyone from work let loose.  We all agree that someone will get arrested, someone will sleep with a dodgy prostitute and no doubt someone will get so wastes that they will end up naked duct taped to a fence somewhere.  All I know is that it is going to be the best weekend ever!

Christmas?  Nah.  It will be great to see the family, but Amsterdam?  I can let my hair down, laugh and enjoy a great city with great company.  And that’s what I intend on doing!!!  It’s great to have something to look forward to. 

So until next time Ragers and Ragettes.  Keep your head and standards high and your heels even higher!

Lots of love,


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment