Wednesday 25 March 2015

On Betty’s Weight Loss Challenge

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!  It’s a sunny, beautiful glorious day here in St Helens.  The sun is shining and everyone has the joys of spring.  So today I am dressed to impress.  My cream blazer (I’m sick of black), my wine coloured racer back vest, skinny jeans and my leopard print peep toes.  I am feeling fab!!

Well, I have been trying for ages to lose weight as you know.  This has been a hard struggle for me but I feel like I am making headway. 

My new trainer is amazing.  We click, have a laugh and I am seeing improvements in my fitness.  Like when I do my high intensity intervals, I don't feel like I am going to die anymore! She put me on a new diet plan as well.  I am eating 1500 calories a day and doing cardio 4 times a week, weight lifting 2 times a week and yoga 1 day a week.

On Monday I did a hard 50 minute cardio session.  30 minutes of high interval training and 20 minutes on the bike.  Tuesday, I made a mini triathlon...3 kilometer “skiing (cross trainer machine)", 5 kilometer bike ride and a 1.5 kilometer run.  By the end of it, my face was as purple as my purple top!!!  It was hard but rewarding.

This morning I was having a session with her and she said to me, Betty I am so impressed with your training this week!  You’re doing great!   I thanked her and smiled.

I look up to my trainer because she has been nothing but good to me and she has overcome eating disorders to get where she is today.  So she knows how it feels to be in a body that you hate but she is helping me get it sorted.  She too is on a journey to get her body fitter as she has a body form competition coming up.

She smiled at me as I was getting ready to do my killer squat routine.  She said, Betty, let’s make April a really good month. 

I did my first squat rep and said of course it will be a fab month!  I am pleased with the training plan and the diet. 

She said why don’t you make a goal for the end of April/beginning of May?  Is there an outfit that you want to get into?

There are thousands of outfits that I want to get into.  That’s the problem.   The outfits I want to get into are smaller than I could accomplish in a month.

I looked at her and said I don’t want to commit myself.  I have made sweeping declarations before.  The one that hurt was that I wanted to get into my red vintage winter coat by my birthday last year.  That failed majorly. 

But looking back, last year, I was still a bit unsettled.  I gained a boyfriend, just moved from a fabulous city to a town with crap shops (There is no Selfridges or Harvey Nichols in St Helens, I will have you know!), I got a new job, and I had to settle and figure out where I am in this world.  I feel that I am now only really feeling settled.

Now I feel more comfortable.  I found a beautician, a hair dresser, things are settling for me.

I was thinking this over as I tore through my squats feeling the burn in my thighs and butt. 

I then thought about the white trousers.

The fabulously gorgeous Elizabeth Hurley is always snapped wearing her white trousers in the summer.  In Fashion magazines it's a running joke!  They are white denim with a slight flare.  They are classy and very versatile, though and us women need a piece like that in our wardrobes.

I too own such a pair of trousers.  These trousers are cotton with a kick flare that go with everything, and I mean everything!  They, for me are a summer staple.  I wore them back in 2008 and again in 2010.

They are from a boutique in Ireland called A/Wear.  They are a size down from what I wear now.  I few weeks ago I wanted to see how big I was so I tried them on.  They went easily past my thighs but when it came to my hips, it was hard work but I got them on my hips.  I then hoicked them up to my waist.  They were not going to zip up at all. 

As I started to do my dead lift , I looked at my trainer and asked, when is your competition?

She said the 3rd of May.

I asked her, do you think that is feasible to lose a dress size from now until 3rd of May?

She said, yeah, if you stick to the routine, continue to eat clean and put in the effort that you are doing now, I don’t see why not.

I told her about the white trousers and said, how about this.  By your competition on May 3rd, I will be in my white trousers.

She smiled and said, agreed.  

So Ragers and Ragettes.  That’s my goal.  By Sunday May 3rd, I need to lose enough weight to fit into the white trousers.  The rules are, the trousers must be in a wearable state so no muffin top, no camel toe, no tummy over the waistband and I need to photograph myself wearing these trousers and send it to my trainer on the 3rd of May.

It’s a big ask but the key, for me, is to break it down day by day.  Focus on eating healthy and exercising today.  Don’t think about tomorrow.  Just today.  The hardest part though is seeing my body in the state that it is.  My tummy is the bit that I hate the most.  It's flabby and dreadful.

This weight loss battle has been going on for 17 years now.  I have yo-yo’d so much that I am irritated with it now. 

I have made some lifestyle changes in my life and they are changes that are going to stay.  For example, I have cut down my drinking now to nothing.  I had a slip up this month at the hair dressing competition.  But 25 days with 1 drink is really, really good for me.  I am proud of that.  So I have decided that I am not going to buy wine anymore at the super market.  If I am going to have a drink, it will be for a big occasion, like this coming weekend, Simon and my 1 year anniversary (Where has the time gone?).  I don't need the drink.  Too many calories!  Plus when you drink loads, you tend to go to a takeaway and soon before you know it you wake up next to an empty container that contained a kebab with cheesy chips!!

Here is to the Betty Rage Weight Loss Challenge:  getting my ass into the white trousers by May 3rd.  Let's do this!

So until next time, Ragers and Ragettes, keep your head and standards high and your heels even higher!

Lots of love,


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment