Tuesday 5 May 2015

On Letting Go.........Of your Hairdresser

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!!   It’s a grey but mild day here in St Helens.  I’m feeling ok today so I am wearing one of my favourite outfits of all time:  My 1970’s secretary dress.  It’s blue, white and red with a pussy bow blouse.  I have accessorized it with my red peeptoe stilettos and a black belt. My makeup and hair looks good today too!

Today is a very hard day for me historically.  10 years ago I lost a child but I am determined to not let it get to me.  10 years is too long of a time to let it hang over your head.  I know that my little one is some place better.  I also know that I am in a better place too.  So I am determined to make myself feel good today.  To look to the future and to close the door on that part of my life.

So I put on my best dress today and I walked into work with the new that our new customer service guy has decided to resign and not give us notice.  Fabulous indeed.  It’s a good thing because he was a grade A gobshite.  I mean, if being a gobshite was an Olympic sport, he would be a record holder and have at least 20 gold medals.

Over the weekend, I was thinking about the past, 10 years ago.  On Saturday I had a pamper day and I went to the hair dresser. 

Now Ragers and Ragettes.  You know my hairdresser is crazy.  He’s talented and a perfectionist.....when it comes to colour.  My hair now is 2 toned.  The fringe is a violet/pink colour which is amazing.  The rest is a rosy pink.  Gorgeous.  The haircut?  Dreadful.  I keep gioving him the same picture and he keeps not cutting it the way I want it.  I think that he is back in the 1980’s still (which is ok.  I have no problems with leg warmers) and whenever I walk out of his, my hair is spikey and punky.  Not the smooth classic Gennifer Goodwin pixie crop that I have wanted for 4 months. 

I got to my car, combed my hair down and I tried to salvage the situation.  I then went for a manicure and a pedicure with my fabulous beauty therapist.  I got in and she complimented me on my hair.

I sat down and she started to do my nails (I picked a bright orange with orange glitter) and she said, Betty, why do you look so sad?

I looked at her and said, my hair.  I don’t like my hair.

She looked at me with surprise. But Betty I thought that you liked your hair. 

I do, I love the colour but the cut....it’s dreadful.  I took my phone out and showed her the Gennifer Goodwin inspired pixie cut that I wanted.  Now, I said, does my hair look anything like this?

She looked and said immediately.  No.  It doesn’t. 

I said, hence my upset.

She said, Betty, if you are not happy with the haircut, maybe you need to change hairdressers.  There’s no point paying for a haircut that you don’t like.  You need to be happy with your hair.

The funny thing is, Ragers and Ragettes, when she said that, a light went on in my mind.  Why have I been letting someone cut my hair to a standard that I didn’t like?  Why haven’t I put my foot down?  I am too nice?  I feel guilty about leaving?

As I sat pondering this, my beauty therapist called over the head stylist at the salon and she looked at my hair.  I showed her the photo of what I wanted and she looked at it and then looked at my hair and said, I can clean this up for you.  He didn’t even come close to what you wanted!

To hear her say that made me feel relieved.  I felt like I was going crazy.  The head hair stylist went to look at the computer and before I knew it I Was booked in for a hair appointment with her.

A part of me felt guilty, like I was cheating on my hairdresser but the other part of me said, No Betty.  Put those shitty feelings away!!  You wanted a Gennifer Goodwin inspired pixie crop and you got a 1980’s spikey punk throwback!!!   Pull yourself together woman, for God’s sake!!!

It is like cheating though.  A woman and her hairdresser are a relationship that is sacred....even more sacred than the sanctity of marriage.  You tell your hairdresser everything.  They know how they like your coffee.  They listen to your holiday plans, your hopes, your dreams and you trust them with your hair.  And a woman’s hair is her crowning glory.  If you get a bad haircut it does effect you.

So, I am sorry Ali.  You’re the best colourist I have ever known but your cutting?  Shocking.   I am going to have to end this relationship as I need to do what is best for me and my hair.

So until next time Ragers and Ragettes, keep your head and standards high and your heels even higher.

Lots of Love


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment