Monday 11 May 2015

On the Visitors and Parental Problems

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!!  It’s a lovely warm day here in St Helens so I am taking the opportunity to rock my new palazzo strapless jumpsuit with my white cardigan and black wedges.  Fabulous!!!

Well the visitors have been and gone.  It wasn’t too bad actually.  They are both now ladies of leisure (hubby is making all the money) and they both have children.   They are also both fat!  It was great being the skinny one in the group.  I know that was incredibly bitchy but I needed something from screaming after Amelia showed me her new Louis Vuitton handbag and her Chanel makeup.  Oh and don’t forget the first class ticket!!  Well at least my ass isn’t as flabby as yours, sunshine!

But it was ok.  We have each taken different paths and I am cool with it.  We spent the day in Liverpool and reminisced about the old days.  We laughed and discussed life and how the people from our old crew were doing. 

Charity is still as straight talking and funny as ever.   Yes, it looks like they have an easy life.  Well, as easy as raising children can be, and I must admit, I am a little envious but I am better off where I am now. 

We left it that we are going to attempt to meet up at Christmas when I go back home.  And that just suits me fine. 

But my current concern is with Simon’s parents.   I wouldn’t say that I am close to them.  I tolerate them, yes I think that is the best way that I can describe it currently but lately, things have been a bit....well....strained.

A few weeks ago, Simon received a call on the weekend from his mother asking him to come down to fix something, I don’t know if it was the computer or the TV.  He went over to assist and then the drama began...

I received a text from his dad:  Hi Betty.  Have you ever heard the song Cats in the Cats in the Cradle.  It’s about a father who doesn’t have time for his son.  I feel the opposite.

I was a bit shocked.  I didn’t know what to say so I sent a text back saying that I was familiar with the song and Cat Stevens.

Then his dad went on to say that Simon’s mum shouldn’t have called.  And that he wants to feel appreciated. 

He does have a valid point.  But the texts had spelling errors all over the shop...his dad was drunk again.

More texts followed.  The spelling got worse.  His dad was very drunk, I think.

Simon came home and looked frustrated.  I showed him the texts.  Simon sat down on the settee.  Was she drunk again, I asked quietly.  He just nodded.  I hugged him.  I could see he was hurt.  I can see why he doesn’t go over and see them.  I understand his frustration.

Ever since that day, his parents have been awkward with me and Simon.  As in they haven’t spoken to us or chatted with us.  And his dad, who takes care of the accounts knows how busy I am at work has been bombarding me with emails, where’s this?  Where’s that?  Give me this invoice.  He’s also putting awkward comments on my Facebook statuses.  It’s kind of making me feel uncomfortable.  I was tempted yesterday when his dad put an awkward comment on one of my statuses to say Go home Dad, you’re drunk but I don’t know how that would have been taken.

Why have I been pulled into this?  Should I be pulled into this?  What are the official relationship rules on this?

Simon and I have discussed the whole marriage thing.  It is something that we both want.  But Simon made it very clear he wants to fly to Vegas and get married without his parents present because of their track record for getting slaughtered. 

I am lucky.  Yes, my Mama is an absolute head-case with issues.  Yes, she drives me crackers.  Yes, my worst nightmare is to end up helpless and crazy like her.  But I love my Mama and I would take her craziness over Simon’s situation any day.  It’s made me grateful for what I do have.  Simon feels that my parents are the way that he wanted his parents to be and my parents adore Simon and they call him son.

But my parents are miles away and the closest things to parents that I have here are less than adequate. 

I find myself alone and isolated feeling.  They say that when you marry a man, you marry the family too.  Half of me thinks what have I got myself into? 

It’s a difficult one, Ragers and Ragettes and I am well and truly stuck.  Any comments or feedback about this or any issues are always welcome!

Until next time, Ragers and Ragettes, keep your head and standards high and your heels even higher

Lots of Love


The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment