Monday 7 September 2015

On Social Media

Hey Ragers and Ragettes!  Sorry for the delay in posting.  It's been manic and I haven't had time to pee let alone post!

Well, today was a fab day as I received my new boots!! They are some lovely brown knee high boots with a chunky heel from River Island.  I absolutely love them!  I have been looking for the perfect boots for autumn for what it seems like a million years.  To me, it's an autumn essential. 

Now onto something that has been on my mind for ages.

Social media is something that we all have a hand in.  It seems most people, these days, have a Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account.  Hell, even my blogger account! 

Social media is a platform to get news, opinions and such from our loved ones that live far away and also keep up to date on current events. And what a great way to advertise for businesses. And it's even a better way of seeing who in your class has become fat!

This social media thing is also supposed to be a place where you can put your inner most thoughts, your likes, things that are important to you.  But, Ragers and Ragettes, is this the case?

Today I had an incident with Simon's parents on the platform of Facebook.

I received my new boots (squuuuueeeeeeeeeee still so happy that I have them) and so I, did what I always did, posted a photo on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.  I mean, shoes and fashion are my main passion.

Simon's mum saw them and thought that they were lovely.  Well, this afternoon after they left work, Simon's mum (most likely it was really Simon's dad) commented on the photo stating something to the effect of you should be working.

Well, this is rich coming from sad alcoholics that sponge off their son.  I mean, I have to authorise payment to Simon's mum every month.  She works for a half a day every Monday and if you break down what she gets paid per hour, she is actually the highest paid person in the organisation!!!  And she rocks up to work reeking of booze and makes loads of mistakes!!!  Fucking makes me fume!!!

Now, it got bad with Simon's dad that I have put him to an "acquaintance" on Facebook.  So he cannot see things that I post or comment on them as he used to always make snarky comments on my posts.

Now my issue is that Simon's parents pick at most of my statuses.  I am in an awkward position.  Do I block both of Simon's parents and have that uncomfortable conversation of why did you block me? Do I put up with it? Do I put Simon's mum as an acquaintance too? 

Saying all this, are we truly free on social media? I mean blocking your boyfriend's parents would cause issues, undoubtedly. But do we really post what we think? And if we did would we have any "friends" left? 

The amount of times I have had to bite my tongue from writing something to the affect of, not another fucking picture of a baby!!! Or shut the fuck up or seriously? You're a crank! 

Why do I not post those things? Well it's not very polite is it and I'm a lover not a fighter.

I feel like a lot of times Facebook is an illusion. We're making a picture of what we want to be not of what we really are.  We want everyone to see that we have a good life, a great relationship, a fab holiday, a great wardrobe. We want people to see that we are going to the gym, that we have an active social life.  It's actually kind of sad.

I have mixed feelings about it to be honest and I try to always be true to myself within the constraints of what you ought to say or do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are all trying to be popular, cool, important and most importantly, trying to get that perfect selfie.

So Ragers and Ragettes, remember when you check your Instagram and you see that chick doing yoga and looks like she has a perfect life? She most likely doesn't and after that picture she probably binged on ice cream and doughnuts. 

Be yourselves, everyone else is already taken

So until next time, Ragers and Ragettes, keep your head and standards high and your heels even higher!

Lots of love

The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxx

1 comment:

  1. Im not friends with my in laws on social media...well I sm my fil but he rarely goes on and never makes comments. I used to be friends with my mil but fb unfroended us after an upgrade and I never added her back because of sarky comments...same for other in laws. I dont see the need to be "friends" with certain ppl. Make simons mum aquaint....blame it on fb or just ssy you dont have tome to go on anymore. What she doesnt know wont hurt her.

    ReplyDelete